You may look forward to entertaining friends and family in your backyard as summer approaches. However, it’s important to take the proper precautions to prevent accidents and ensure an enjoyable experience for your guests.
Here are some common safety concerns associated with outdoor entertaining and ways to help mitigate them.
Grills and Firepits
Outdoor gatherings often involve flipping burgers on the grill or roasting marshmallows around the firepit. While these activities can provide tasty treats, they also increase the risk of backyard fires and related injuries. Consider these practices to promote fire safety at your next event:
- Check the grill for leaks before use.
- Keep the grill at least 10 feet from your home.
- Don’t leave the grill unattended.
- Clean the grill after each use.
- Have an adult monitor the firepit at all times.
- Keep flammable items at least 3 feet from the firepit.
- Make sure the flames are completely out before leaving the firepit.
- Have a fire extinguisher readily available.
Splashing in the pool is a great way to cool off on a summer day. However, water activities can carry major hazards, including slips, trips and even drowning. Use these safety tips when hosting a pool party:
- Have an adult supervise the pool area at all times, especially if children are present.
- Install a fence and lockable gate around the pool area to deter unsupervised swimming.
- Ensure guests know how to swim before they enter the pool.
- Prohibit running in the pool area.
- Keep the pool area stocked with rescue equipment and a first-aid kit.
- Jumping on a trampoline can be fun for people of all ages, but it can easily lead to falls and broken bones. Follow these trampoline safety measures when entertaining guests in your backyard:
- Place the trampoline on level ground and away from other hazards.
- Confirm that your trampoline is equipped with shock-absorbing pads and an enclosure.
- Allow only one person to use the trampoline at a time; never let children under age 6 use it.
For More Information
When you host an outdoor gathering, you are responsible for accidents that happen on your property. With this in mind, consult Nicolas A. Consoles Insurance Agency in Peabody, Massachusetts, to discuss specialized safety solutions and insurance offerings related to backyard entertaining.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.